Forest Electric New York (Forest NY) provided electrical construction and power distribution solutions for AboveNet’s new sixth-floor telecommunications facility.
To successfully deliver this project on a fast-tracked, four-month construction schedule, our team worked 24 hours a day, seven days a week, with labor peaking at 200 workers. We also factory tested all commercial electrical equipment on-site.
The client needed to construct a 70,000-square-foot facility to serve customers who required high-security Internet operations.
Our team provided redundant power from different sources, helping ensure 100 percent uninterrupted service.
- Three roof-mounted diesel generators
- Two rotary uninterruptible power supply systems
- Two additional roof-mounted backup generators
- Power distribution systems, featuring:
- Six switchboards
- 12 distribution switchboards
- Four electrical power distribution units with redundant feeds
- Wiring and conduits, including:
- 5.2 miles of conduit from the sixth floor to the roof
- 22 miles of feeder cable in the conduits
- Branch circuiting
- 389 miles of wire in 9.1 miles of conduit
In the event of a power failure, the two backup generators will provide constant power for eight seconds—providing enough time for the main generators to power up.
AboveNet is a leading provider of network infrastructure services for businesses.